We as a family of Kayasthas, not only pride ourselves on all the kinds of meat recipes but also so many mock-meats. Ranging from Kacche kele ki machli, besan ki kaleji to masoor ki dal ke kebabs. Mom recently tried her hands on mutton shikhampuri kebabs but also created this crazy vegetarian recipe along with it. Kaccha Kele ke shikhampuri kebabs are as much if not more tempting, delish and lip-smacking as their mutton counterpart. And of course, a vegetarian’s delight.
Ingredients for the Kebab
(10 to 12 kebabs)
- Raw Banana – 4 pieces
- Onion – 1 large
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Green chilli – 1
- Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Gram flour – 2 tbsp
- Mustard oil – to fry kabab
For the filling
- Hung curd – 3 cups
- Onion – 1 medium
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Capsicum – 1 large
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Peel the bananas and roughly cut into cubes.
- Peel the onion and chop finely.
- Finely chop ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds till they splutter.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and green chilli. Cook till the onion turns pink.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt. Mix well and cook.
- Add a splash of water and add the chopped bananas. Cook until the bananas are done.
- Add garam masala powder, mix well and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, dry roast gram flour (besan) on a hot tawa.
- Add the besan to the banana mix and mash well to prepare a dough.
- For the filling, put curd in a sieve or soft muslin and allow the water to strain completely for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Finely chop onion, capsicum, and tomato. Ensure that the tomato is completely devoid of any pulp or seeds.
- Mix the chopped vegetables with the curd, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until you need to use it.
To make the Kebabs –
- Divide the dough into 10 or 12 equal parts (depending on the size you want your kebabs to be, ours was an approximately 3 inch dia)
- Make small balls and flatten them, add 1 tsp filling, close and flatten the patty again
- Let it set in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the kebabs.
- Serve with the remainder of the filling, which doubles up as a great dip.