I cooked a cranberry sauce chicken for Christmas dinner last year. Followed by a successful experiment of drunken lamb chops. This winter is the time for something a little more interesting, chicken in red wine, with mushrooms and baby potatoes. Much like Chicken Marsala, but instead of using marsala wine, I substituted it with a Sutter Home Merlot. I absolutely love the inherent spicy flavours and herbs in the wine. Which worked quite well with the Indian palate.
- Chicken – 800 grams
- Red Wine – 3 cups
- Onion – 3, medium sized, chopped
- Button mushrooms – 200g, halved
- Baby Potatoes – 8-10
- Garlic cloves – 7-8, chopped
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Black cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 4
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Red chilly powder – 1-1/2 tsp
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan, add chopped garlic and onions. Cook on medium heat till transparent.
- Simultaneously, wash the mushrooms and microwave for 2 minutes. Drain any excess water
Wash the baby potatoes thoroughly and poke slightly with a sharp knife. This ensures your wine sauce flavours really sink in.
- Add the whole spices to the pan and stir for a minute.
- Transfer the chicken with the marinade and cover for 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and Red chilly powder and mix well.
- Keep cooking till the chicken is half done.
- Add the mushrooms and potatoes. Top with 1 cup of wine and let the wine reduce on low heat.
- After the wine has reduced to half, add another cup of wine and cook till the wine has reduced again and come together.S
- Serve hot with bread, mashed potatoes or rice.